ARLINGTON, Texas - Seth Smith homered and scored three times, Bartolo Colon pitched seven strong innings for his first win in nearly a month and the Oakland Athletics beat the Texas Rangers 9-2 on Monday night.
Colon, who turns 40 on Friday, gave up two runs on six hits and struck out three. It was the first win for Colon (3-3) since April 23 at Boston.
Coco Crisp got three hits, and had the first of three straight Oakland doubles in a four-run fifth inning that broke a 1-1 tie. He scored when Yeonis Cespedes hit a line drive just over Adrian Beltre's head with the third baseman playing in, and Cespedes came home on Brandon Moss' line drive to the wall in right.
Josh Lindblom (0-1) lost in his 2013 debut and first major league start.
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend