ARLINGTON, Texas - Rookie right-hander Dan Straily pitched seven scoreless innings and Yoenis Cespedes homered as the Oakland Athletics won their fifth straight game, 1-0 over the Texas Rangers and Yu Darvish on Tuesday night.
Straily (2-2) gave up only two singles while facing 22 batters, just one over the minimum for his seven innings. He struck out five.
Even with consecutive wins to start the three-game series, Oakland still trails the Rangers by 4Â½ games in the AL West.
Darvish (7-2) had won all five of his previous starts this season when pitching after a Texas loss.
The Japanese right-hander struck out five, but walked three and hit a batter while giving up five hits in six innings. With the help of a couple of defensive plays, the only run he allowed came when Cespedes homered to straightaway center in the third.
- Updated Rio Olympics: Is Brazil ready for the 2016 Games?
- Updated Witness to Abilene man's murder names Gootee as shooter
- Updated Ex-NFL quarterback Tim Tebow to speak in Brownwood next year
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Rain chances fade, temperatures climb
- Updated Hot air balloon with 16 aboard crashes in Texas; no survivors