ABILENE, Texas - Texas Lutheran women and Texas-Tyler's men each scored 93 points to take the team lead in the American Southwest Conference Track and Field Championships at the HSU Track and Field Complex on Friday.
Melissa Longoria of Texas Lutheran won the 10000 meters with a time of 42:08.40 and Caitlin Rowlette of Concordia won the women's 3000 steeplechase with a time of 12:16.33 in the only running events of the day. Shyann Parks was sixth for Hardin Simmons in the 10,000 with a time of 47:13.49.
Kristi Ellis won the high jump with a 5-4 ¼ and Kami Bellah of HSU was second in the event. Bellah won the triple jump with a 38-5 ½.
HSU's Evlyn Collins and Shannon Shipp finished 1-2 in the hammer throw. Collins throw of 151 broke her school record. Shipp threw it 131-2.
Brittany Bowers of Texas Lutheran won the javelin with a 121-11 and Collins was second with a 102-3.
TLU has 93 points, HSU is second with 56.5 points, Texas-Tyler is third with 51, Concordia is fourth with 21.5 points and Mississippi College has 12 points.
On the men's side Texas-Tyler loaded up in the distance events. In the 10,000 Wilson Alexander and Conner Benson finished 1-2 and the Patriots scored with fourth and fifth place finishes as well. Alexander won with a 36:05.88 Chad Caton was third for HSU.
In the 3000 steeplechase Nicklas Huff won with a 10:21.56 and the Patriots won first, second, third and sixth.
Matt Denman of Concordia won the high jump with a 6-0 jump and Justin Gonzalez of Concordia won the triple jump with a 45-3 ½.
Buck Thompson of UT-Tyler won the hammer with a 143-4. Justin Gray of HSU was second with a 138-7. Ed Palencia had a javelin throw of 211-10 to set a new career high.
In the men's team race UTT has 93 points, Concordia is second with 57, HSU has 16, Mississippi College has 13 points and Sul Ross State has seven total points.
Field events will begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday and the running events will go off starting at 1 p.m.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated