ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' baseball team won its 20th game of the season with a 10-5 win over Arlington Baptist in non-conference action at Hunter Field on Tuesday afternoon.
HSU is now 5-2 on its current 11-game homestand. The Cowboys are 20-12 on the year and will play host to ASC West leader Texas Lutheran this weekend at Hunter Field. The first game is slated for 7 p.m. Friday. Arlington Baptist fell to 14-31 on the year.
The Cowboys jumped on the board early with a run in the first inning on an Andrew Bell home run to right field. It was the senior's second home run of the year.
HSU added four more runs in the second inning. Caleb Jacques had an RBI double, Jon Finney had a sacrifice fly and Marcus Uechi had a two-run home run to right center.
The Cowboys split up the pitching duties in the game and Brandon Bollinger got the start and was effective with four strikeouts over three innings and he did not allow a run. Stewart Person (3-0) allowed one earned run over two innings, Matt Rhodes allowed two runs in two inning, Parker Robinson worked one inning plus one batter in the ninth.
Troy Nicholson, who was a weekend starter for the Cowboys but has not thrown this spring after injuring his elbow in the fall, retired all three batters he faced in the ninth.
ABC chipped away at the Cowboy lead with single runs in the fourth and fifth innings. Josh Beckham had a sacrifice fly in the fourth. Ryan Wagley had an RBI single in the fifth. HSU responded with three runs in the fifth. Ryan Reagor had an RBI double and Uechi had a two-run double.
ABC scored three times in the sixth to narrow the gap to 8-5. HSU scored two runs in the seventh. Trey Thompson had an RBI single and J.T. Thornton, who was making his first career start, had a sacrifice fly.
Reagor, Finney, Uechi and Bell all had two hits for HSU. Colson Craddick reached base five times with a single, three walks and a hit by pitch. Wagley had three hits for ABC.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Updated Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting