Wildcats enter post-season tournament ranked No. 8 in regional poll
Despite losing three of four games last weekend to Angelo State in the regular-season-ending series last weekend, the ACU Wildcats are still ranked No. 8 in the latest NCAA Division II South Central Region baseball poll, which was released Wednesday afternoon.
Texas A&M-Kingsville, the runner-up to Tarleton State in the Lone Star Conference, moved up to No. 1 in the region, while Angelo State dropped one spot to No. 4, Tarleton State remained at No. 5. West Texas A&M checked in at No. 7 with ACU at No. 8.
Colorado Mesa from the Rocky Mountain Athletics Conference is at No. 2 this week after it was ranked No. 1 in last week's first poll of the season, St. Mary's of the Heartland Conference is No. 3 and St. Edward's of the Heartland is No. 6
Virtually the only chance the Wildcats have of reaching the regional tournament is to win this weekend's Lone Star Conference Post-Season Tournament and, by virtue of that, the league's automatic bid to the regional tournament.
The Wildcats are 28-22 overall and finished fifth in the LSC in their final season as a member of the league. ACU finished league play at 15-13 and will play No. 2 seed Texas A&M-Kingsville at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Wilder Park in Canyon. The game will be broadcast in Abilene on KSLI 1280 AM.
SOUTH CENTRAL REGION POLL
1. Texas A&M-Kingsville (35-15 overall, 25-15 in region)
2. Colorado Mesa (37-7 overall, 37-7 in region)
3. St. Mary's (35-12 overall, 35-12 in region)
4. Angelo State (33-17 overall, 30-15 in region)
5. Tarleton State (32-14-1 overall, 27-13-1 in region)
6. St. Edward's (33-14 overall, 32-14 in region)
7. West Texas A&M (29-19 overall, 25-17 in region)
8. Abilene Christian (28-22 overall, 26-20 in region)
Information for this story provided by ACU Sports Information.