WITCHITA FALLS, Texas - Less than 18 hours after suffering two hearbreaking one-run losses, the ACU softball team returned the favor to Northeastern State in the final game of the Courtyard by Marriott Classic at Mustang Field.
ACU scored one run in the top of the seventh inning Sunday morning to grab a 2-1 win over the Riverhawks. The Wildcats on Saturday lost to both Emporia State (6-5) and St. Mary's (3-2) in eight innings.
Sunday, however, it was the Wildcats who struck late to walk off a one-run winner. Each team scored once in the first inning, and from there it was a pitcher's duel between ACU's Shelby Hall and NSU's Kayce Wooldridge.
Hall went seven innings, giving up just three hits and not walking a batter to pick up the win and improve to 5-1 on the year. Wooldridge gave up seven hits and one walk, but both of the runs she allowed were unearned.
In the top of the seventh inning of a 1-1 game, Anna Jones and Ashley Nolan each singled with one out to put runners at first and third. After Keanna Winkfield reached on an infield hit to load the bases, Sara Vaughn came to the plate with a chance to give the Wildcat the lead.
Vaughn hit a shot to the third baseman Lisa Ripperger, who threw home to get Jones for the second out. However, when the catcher, Navada Campos, threw to first to try and get Vaughn, she overthrew the first baseman, allowing Nolan to score the go-ahead run.
In the bottom half of the seventh, Hall worked around a leadoff single to retire the side without allowing a run.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Obama shortens more than 100 prison sentences
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Texan who faked being decorated Navy SEAL gets prison
- New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- KTXS Forecast: Thundershower chances persist into the weekend
Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- McMurry University kicks off school year with convocation
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident