ABILENE, Texas - Gilbert Aguirre from the Arrow Ford body shop visited KTXS and shared some tips on what you should do if you get in an accident.
If the worst happens and you are in a wreck, safety should be the first thing on your mind.
"The first concern is your safety," Aguirre said. "You want to make sure you're okay, and your passengers."
He said you should always check on the other car as well, but do so in a safe way.
If you pull over or stop, remember to put on your hazard lights. Only get out of your vehicle if you are in a secure area.
The next step is to always call the police, even on private property.
"An officer will get a lot of the data you'll need later for your claim," Aguirre said.
He also gave another helpful tip for the day of the accident.
"If you have access to a camera phone, take a picture of the license plate of the other car," Aguire said. "Take a couple pictures of the damage to the other vehicle."
You will always have your car and its damage in your possession, but you may not see the other vehicle ever again.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't