Tracking Storm Safety Tips
POSTED: 11:43 AM Mar 04 2013
BEFORE THE STORM:
- Keep a battery-powered radio, flashlight and cell-phone.
- Select a sheltered area in your home.
- Know the location of shelters in public places.
- Inventory your possessions and keep the list in a safe place.
DURING THE STORM IN HOMES...
- Go to a cellar, storm shelter or basement if a storm warning is issued.
- Otherwise, take cover in an interior hall, closet or windowless bathroom on the first floor.
- If nothing else, get under heavy furniture and cover yourself with blankets or go to your bathtub and cover yourself with a mattress.
DURING THE STORM IN MOBILE HOMES...
- Get out immediately!
- Take shelter elsewhere in a sturdier home.
DURING THE STORM IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS
- Go to a designated shelter area.
- Stay away from storefronts and windows.
DURING THE STORM IN AUTOMOBILES
- Automobiles offer no protection in large tornadoes. Hiding under highway overpasses can also be a death trap.
- Check the weather report before travelling so you don't get caught in a stormy situation.
DURING THE STORM IN SCHOOLS
- Follow your teacher's instructions.
- Stay away from windows.
- Avoid gyms or auditoriums.
- Take shelter in interior halls.
DURING THE STORM IN OPEN COUNTRY...
- Move away from the storm at right angles.
- If unable to move, lie flat in the lowest ground possible.