ABILENE, Texas - Happy Friday morning! A few passing clouds are being seen across West Texas early on today. Readings remain warm in the upper 70s. South winds have been blowing in the vicinity of 10 mph during the overnight period.
Hot weather conditions resume today with triple digits expected in many locations. Look for plentiful sunshine with some puffy cumulus cloud development during the afternoon. A stray thundershower cannot be ruled out particularly north of I-20. Highs will range from 100 to the lower 100s. Southerly breezes go at 10-15 mph.
Tonight a few clouds will linger but no important weather is expected. Temperatures slowly fall back into the upper 70s by daybreak Saturday. South winds come at us around 10 mph.
Saturday turns out another 100 degree day for West Texas. High pressure controls the weather maps and results in mostly sunny to partly cloudy conditions. South southeasterly flow blows at 10-15 mph.
Sunny skies Sunday morning will give way to a few clouds Sunday afternoon as the mercury returns to the upper 90s. An isolated thunderstorm is possible in our extreme northern counties in the peak heating hours. Most of us do stay dry, however. Expect winds to be from the southeast at 10-15 mph.
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will see the core of the heat get suppressed to our south and west as a weak cold front moves into our region early Monday. The boundary may linger into midweek providing a focus for isolated to scattered afternoon thundershowers each day. Otherwise, anticipate a mix of sun and clouds. Readings top out in the middle 90s.
Though it is several days down the road, maps are hinting that the heat dome may expand eastward once again later next week pushing our temperatures back into the range of upper 90s and triple digits. Stay with KTXS through the weekend for all of your weather updates.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated