ABILENE, Texas - Temperatures have fallen significantly overnight and today will turn out much cooler than anything we have seen recently.
Expect highs this afternoon in the middle to upper 50s across West Texas. North winds are forecast to be strong from 20-30 mph. Clouds this morning will yield to better sunshine this afternoon.
Clear conditions carry through tonight as lows drop into the lower 30s. A Freeze Watch is in effect for most of West Central Texas for Tuesday morning. Stephens, Eastland and Comanche counties are already under a Freeze Warning. A Hard Freeze Warning has been issued for Knox County. North winds gradually decrease overnight allowing for radiational cooling and thus the mercury to plummet.
Sunny skies on Tuesday will start to warm us once again as readings rebound into the middle 60s by day's end. Winds will be lighter from the south.
Partly cloudy weather is predicted for the middle day of the work week with highs aiming for the mid 70s. South winds begin blowing briskly by afternoon at 15-25 gusting as high as 35 mph.
Early clouds on Thursday give way to afternoon sunshine. Look for highs to get into the upper 70s to near 80 degrees before all is said and done. A very slight chance for an afternoon thunderstorm exists for our eastern counties.
A mix of sun and clouds can be expected on Friday. Readings reach the low 70s.
Southerly breezes start to increase over the weekend and usher in milder temperatures for West Texas. The thermometer heads for the upper 70s to near 80 degrees on Saturday and potentially into the 80s by Sunday afternoon. A chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms reappears later Saturday into Sunday with the approach of a new upper-level system from the west. Otherwise, partly sunny skies should persist.
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Gun and knife show returns to Abilene this weekend
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit