ABILENE, Texas - Temperatures have fallen significantly overnight and today will turn out much cooler than anything we have seen recently.
Expect highs this afternoon in the middle to upper 50s across West Texas. North winds are forecast to be strong from 20-30 mph. Clouds this morning will yield to better sunshine this afternoon.
Clear conditions carry through tonight as lows drop into the lower 30s. A Freeze Watch is in effect for most of West Central Texas for Tuesday morning. Stephens, Eastland and Comanche counties are already under a Freeze Warning. A Hard Freeze Warning has been issued for Knox County. North winds gradually decrease overnight allowing for radiational cooling and thus the mercury to plummet.
Sunny skies on Tuesday will start to warm us once again as readings rebound into the middle 60s by day's end. Winds will be lighter from the south.
Partly cloudy weather is predicted for the middle day of the work week with highs aiming for the mid 70s. South winds begin blowing briskly by afternoon at 15-25 gusting as high as 35 mph.
Early clouds on Thursday give way to afternoon sunshine. Look for highs to get into the upper 70s to near 80 degrees before all is said and done. A very slight chance for an afternoon thunderstorm exists for our eastern counties.
A mix of sun and clouds can be expected on Friday. Readings reach the low 70s.
Southerly breezes start to increase over the weekend and usher in milder temperatures for West Texas. The thermometer heads for the upper 70s to near 80 degrees on Saturday and potentially into the 80s by Sunday afternoon. A chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms reappears later Saturday into Sunday with the approach of a new upper-level system from the west. Otherwise, partly sunny skies should persist.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer