ABILENE, Texas - Temperatures have fallen significantly overnight and today will turn out much cooler than anything we have seen recently.
Expect highs this afternoon in the middle to upper 50s across West Texas. North winds are forecast to be strong from 20-30 mph. Clouds this morning will yield to better sunshine this afternoon.
Clear conditions carry through tonight as lows drop into the lower 30s. A Freeze Watch is in effect for most of West Central Texas for Tuesday morning. Stephens, Eastland and Comanche counties are already under a Freeze Warning. A Hard Freeze Warning has been issued for Knox County. North winds gradually decrease overnight allowing for radiational cooling and thus the mercury to plummet.
Sunny skies on Tuesday will start to warm us once again as readings rebound into the middle 60s by day's end. Winds will be lighter from the south.
Partly cloudy weather is predicted for the middle day of the work week with highs aiming for the mid 70s. South winds begin blowing briskly by afternoon at 15-25 gusting as high as 35 mph.
Early clouds on Thursday give way to afternoon sunshine. Look for highs to get into the upper 70s to near 80 degrees before all is said and done. A very slight chance for an afternoon thunderstorm exists for our eastern counties.
A mix of sun and clouds can be expected on Friday. Readings reach the low 70s.
Southerly breezes start to increase over the weekend and usher in milder temperatures for West Texas. The thermometer heads for the upper 70s to near 80 degrees on Saturday and potentially into the 80s by Sunday afternoon. A chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms reappears later Saturday into Sunday with the approach of a new upper-level system from the west. Otherwise, partly sunny skies should persist.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel