ABILENE, Texas - Happy Wednesday morning! After some heavy downpours occurred yesterday afternoon and evening south of I-20, conditions are much quieter this morning with partly to mostly cloudy weather common early today. A few isolated showers are still being seen on radar in southern sections. Temperatures are starting off in the upper 60s and lower 70s. Winds are light from the southeast at around 5 mph.
This afternoon a fair amount of cloud cover is expected with some periods of sunshine. The mercury warms into the lower 90s. A slight chance exists for a thundershower to occur. Southerly winds crank it up from 10-20 mph.
Overnight tonight into Thursday morning it is likely that a cluster of showers and storms in association with an approaching upper-level disturbance forms in the Texas Panhandle and swings through our northern counties. If this occurs, a portion of the viewing area may experience a round of heavy thunderstorms. Lows fall to near 70 degrees.
Thursday afternoon should see additional thunderstorms develop mainly across the eastern half of our viewing area in advance of a cold front moving through the region. These storms, given the correct setup, all have the potential to reach strong to severe limits. Highs Thursday reach the middle to upper 80s.
Any wet weather Thursday evening into the early morning hours of Friday should gradually shift eastward out of our viewing area. This leaves cloud cover giving way to some sunshine by Friday afternoon. The thermometer registers a below normal number in the middle 80s to wrap up the work week.
Drier and warmer weather still appears likely for the upcoming weekend. Temperatures get into the lower to middle 90s on Saturday while middle to upper 90s are likely for the back half of the weekend. Southerly winds will be breezy on Sunday.
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- San Angelo city councilman resigns after racial comments about police
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Former Sweetwater teacher indicted on 3 child sex charges
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash