ABILENE, Texas - Happy Wednesday morning! After some heavy downpours occurred yesterday afternoon and evening south of I-20, conditions are much quieter this morning with partly to mostly cloudy weather common early today. A few isolated showers are still being seen on radar in southern sections. Temperatures are starting off in the upper 60s and lower 70s. Winds are light from the southeast at around 5 mph.
This afternoon a fair amount of cloud cover is expected with some periods of sunshine. The mercury warms into the lower 90s. A slight chance exists for a thundershower to occur. Southerly winds crank it up from 10-20 mph.
Overnight tonight into Thursday morning it is likely that a cluster of showers and storms in association with an approaching upper-level disturbance forms in the Texas Panhandle and swings through our northern counties. If this occurs, a portion of the viewing area may experience a round of heavy thunderstorms. Lows fall to near 70 degrees.
Thursday afternoon should see additional thunderstorms develop mainly across the eastern half of our viewing area in advance of a cold front moving through the region. These storms, given the correct setup, all have the potential to reach strong to severe limits. Highs Thursday reach the middle to upper 80s.
Any wet weather Thursday evening into the early morning hours of Friday should gradually shift eastward out of our viewing area. This leaves cloud cover giving way to some sunshine by Friday afternoon. The thermometer registers a below normal number in the middle 80s to wrap up the work week.
Drier and warmer weather still appears likely for the upcoming weekend. Temperatures get into the lower to middle 90s on Saturday while middle to upper 90s are likely for the back half of the weekend. Southerly winds will be breezy on Sunday.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated