ABILENE, Texas - High temperatures take aim for the middle 80s this afternoon under sunny skies. West winds will blow vigorously at 20-25 gusting as high as 35 or 40 mph.
Red Flag Warnings are in effect for most of the region today. We expect critical fire weather conditions due to unseasonably warm temperatures combined with strong west winds and very low relative humidity values near 15 percent. Fires can initiate very easily. Outdoor burning is highly discouraged.
Tonight we look for partly cloudy weather and lows in the lower 50s.
A compact area of showers and thundershowers is forecast to develop during the early to mid morning hours just south of our viewing area and proceed eastward. It is possible our southeastern counties could see some brief wet weather on Friday morning. We will continue watching this disturbance on future model cycles. Otherwise expect partly cloudy skies on Friday and highs near 80 degrees.
Plentiful sunshine is back in the forecast for Saturday. The thermometer registers a number in the middle 70s.
Some high clouds will stream in for Sunday afternoon but they will not be enough to prevent strong warming to near or just above the 80 degree mark. South winds become very breezy once again during the afternoon hours.
The first day of the new work week looks pleasant with a high near 80 degrees.
A few more clouds will be around for Tuesday and Wednesday with a slight chance for a shower or thundershower during that period. This is a long ways off and a lot of uncertainty exists but we will be keeping up on the details over the next several days.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated