ABILENE, Texas - Happy Tuesday everyone! This morning we have some high clouds moving into West Texas and we will continue to see these throughout the day. Temperatures are starting out in the middle 50s for most of us and are on a trajectory for the upper 80s once again this afternoon.
Partly cloudy skies will be common across the Big Country today. As the dryline slices through the region from west to east, there will be a chance for isolated thunderstorms in the heating of the day (later afternoon and early evening hours) particularly in the northeastern portion of our viewing area. A strong to severe storm is possible with gusty winds and hail. Otherwise, south winds blow from 10-20 mph.
Tonight any wet weather dissipates leaving variably cloudy skies for the overnight with lows in the mid to upper 60s. Southerly breezes will be cranking from 15-25 gusting to 30 or 35 mph.
Wednesday looks to turn out very similarly to Tuesday. A mix of sun and clouds is in the forecast with the best chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon hours just ahead of the dryline. The focus will be in the eastern half of our viewing area yet again. Highs head for around 90 degrees with breezy south winds from 15-20 gusting to around 30 mph.
Things should begin to settle down later Wednesday night. A shower cannot be ruled out into the early morning hours of Thursday for eastern areas. Lows drop to near 60 degrees.
Mostly sunny weather breaks out on Thursday and the mercury stays well above normal in the middle 80s. West winds from 20-30 mph gusting higher will elevate the fire danger.
Cooler readings settle in for Friday under full sunshine. The thermometer tops out close to 70. Lighter north winds in the vicinity of 10 mph can be expected.
Sunshine starts our first day of the weekend and is followed by increasing clouds during the afternoon hours. Scattered showers may develop in the evening and extend into a portion of Sunday. A few thundershowers may occur as well. Highs on Saturday and Sunday will be within a few degrees of 70.
- Updated DISH Network subscribers lose access to KTXS, ABC38, MeTV programming
- Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning
- Colorado City vet seriously injured in crash, fundraising effort underway
- Police: 2 children taken in 1985 found, mom arrested in Texas
- Video shows dog chained to open trailer on highway
- Abilene firefighters attack early morning fire
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Brown County Youth Fair steer auctioned for record $15,000
- Brownwood holds 5th annual MLK Day parade, ceremony
- Brown County fire department asking for help buying new truck
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- Clyde family seeks memorial quilt accidentally donated to Goodwill