ABILENE, Texas - We are starting out clear and very cold in the upper 20s and lower 30s across West Texas. Wind speeds have lightened considerably overnight allowing for the mercury to plummet toward the freezing point.
This afternoon sunny skies are in the forecast with the mercury beginning to rebound into the middle 60s. Southerly breezes will be gentler today at 10-15 mph.
Tonight some high clouds will increase across the Big Country as lows become quite chilly once again into the lower 40s by sunrise on Wednesday. South winds begin to ramp up around 15 mph in the overnight period.
Early high clouds on Wednesday give way to better sunshine through the afternoon. Temperatures work into the middle 70s before all is said and done. Southerly flow rolls into the region from 15-25 mph with higher gusts.
Partly sunny to mostly cloudy conditions are with us on Thursday as the thermometer returns to the middle 70s. A slight chance for a shower or thundershower exists during the afternoon for our eastern counties.
Intervals of clouds and sunshine will be the rule from Friday right on through the upcoming weekend. Highs will be in the middle and upper 70s on Friday and Saturday and near 80, if not above, by the back half of the weekend. Lows are projected to be in the mid to upper 50s. A chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms comes into the forecast for Saturday and Sunday.
There is potential for a significant warming trend to develop as we get into the middle parts of next week. This is something we will watch closely in the days ahead.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer