ABILENE, - Early today very mild temperatures are being felt across all of West Texas. Readings are in the upper 60s to near 70 degrees and south winds are blowing from 15-20 mph.
This afternoon under partly sunny skies we are projecting the mercury to make a run into the middle and upper 80s for a third straight day. Winds will blow from the south at 15-25 mph.
Tonight any wet weather dotting the radar screen largely dissipates by late evening leaving variably cloudy skies for the overnight period. Lows drop off to near 60 and southerly breezes continue at 15-20 mph.
A renegade shower or thundershower can occur into early Thursday morning ahead of a cold front for our southeastern counties but this ends rather quickly giving way to mostly sunny conditions by late morning into the afternoon.
With the thermometer working into the lower to middle 80s combined with westerly winds from 20-30 mph and very low relative humidity values, fire danger will be a concern. In fact, a Fire Weather Watch has been issued for Thursday afternoon for most of West Central Texas. Some blowing dust is a possibility particularly in northern counties.
Cooler temperatures are still in the forecast for Friday under plentiful sunshine. We only top out in the upper 60s.
Sunshine gives way to increasing clouds on Saturday with the approach of our next system from the west. Scattered showers are possible by evening while the mercury reaches the upper 60s to around 70 degrees.
Partly sunny to mostly cloudy skies are predicted for the back half of the weekend with a slight chance for showers. Temperatures run into the lower 70s.
- Updated Teenage suspect arrested in Hamlin murder; 2nd suspect wanted
- Updated Abilene police ask for help identifying man who robbed 2 convenience stores
- Updated House fires fought in north, south Abilene
- Big Country 15-year-old sells steer for $345,000
- Updated Abilene man accused of molesting 4-year-old boy
- Abilene police ask for help identifying man who robbed 2 convenience stores
- 2nd Vernon College rodeo team member dies 8 days after Haskell County crash; 3rd death total
- Teenage suspect arrested in Hamlin murder; 2nd suspect wanted
- Abilene man arrested on child pornography charges
- House fires fought in north, south Abilene
- Brownwood college rodeo raising funds for families of deceased Vernon College students
- Brownwood teen gets 50 years in prison for murdering parents
- Sears Hometown in Early to remain open despite company's woes
- Scoreboard at Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood to be replaced
- Brownwood ISD considering random drug testing for extracurricular activities