(CNN) - Folks on the East Coast should break out their winter coats.
A blast of arctic air will roll into the Northeast by late Thursday, bringing the coldest weather of the season this weekend.
Record lows 20 to 25 degrees below normal are possible in some cities in the Northeast on Friday night or Saturday morning, CNN meteorologist Monica Garrett said.
The weather was already chilly in the Northeast after a cold front came through, causing high temperatures to drop 15 to 20 degrees from Monday into Tuesday, Garrett said.
Hard on its heels, a second cold front will move over the northern Plains through the Midwest and Northeast in the next two days. It will bring the coldest air since last winter, Garrett said.
New York is predicted to have a low in the mid-20s Friday night, according to the National Weather Service. The city's high temperature for Friday will be 37 degrees, almost 20 degrees below the normal high for that date.
The mercury will drop to 22 degrees Friday night in Boston, the weather service says, with a high in the upper 30s.
"Record low for Boston for Sat Nov 11 is 24 set way back in 1901," the weather service in Boston tweeted. "That record may be vulnerable."
The wide swings in temperatures may be causing a bit of weather whiplash for some Northeasterners. Sarah Berry posted a picture on Instagram of snow that's already begun to fall in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania.
"I was not expecting to see two hours of falling snow in Northeast PA, especially since it was 60-degree weather the week before!" Berry said. "It was perfect because the snow looked so beautiful and lightly stuck to the grass, but did not stick to the roads since they are still warm."
Temperatures in the Northeast should return to normal by early next week.
The Midwest is already shivering.
The low in Minneapolis will fall below freezing for 57 hours, starting at midmorning Wednesday. Green Bay, Wisconsin, will experience 52 hours of subfreezing weather, starting early Thursday.
Cities in the Southeast also will be cooler, Garrett said. The low on Friday night will be 32 degrees in Nashville and 42 in Atlanta, the weather service said.
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Mission Thanksgiving kicks off for 19th year
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Former Abilene ISD teacher indicted for biting autistic student
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Brown County Sheriff: Murder suspect wasn't ‘on radar' until composite sketch released
- Brownwood murder suspect shared Facebook posts about victim in days after her death
- Parents of Brownwood murder victim break down in tears when talking about arrest of alleged killer
- Sheriff: Brownwood man confesses in church to killing Chantay Blankinship
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down
- Superintendent: Student detained after terroristic threat in Hawley ISD